[P1] OT: Canon Scanner (was How to apply for lawsuitsettlement? & Panther on 366)

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Mon Nov 3 22:07:57 PST 2003

----- On 11/3/03 11:01 PM MDT (-0600), W. J. Morrow
<wmorrow at twcny.rr.com> wrote, in part:

>> I have a Canon FB630U USB scanner. Since I have a 15" PowerBook on order,
>> and will be using OS X for the first time, I went to Canon's web site. It
>> indicated there that the driver software cannot be installed unless
>> either Photoshop (7, I think) or Photoshop Elements 2.0 were installed
>> first.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Harry Corsover
>
>I can't speak to the FB630U scanner, or what Canon told you, but I just
>verified that I can run CanoScan Toolbox X with my LiDE 30 without using any
>Adobe Photoshop product whatsoever. I can scan and then open the picture in
>iPhoto. It can be run in classic, but I run it in OSX exclusively. In my
>experience, Canon has done a fantastic job supporting OSX.
>
>Bill

Bill,

These two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I believe Canon
when they say their driver for my scanner cannot be installed without
previously installing Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. Once it is
installed, it might function separate from either of those programs (that
would be a bit strange, but possible). I'll have to wait (until my new
PowerBook arrives, and until I can install the various OS X apps and
upgrades) and see.

Best Regards,

Harry Corsover

    Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
Amazing Travel * Health * Legal & Tax Benefits
    Get & Send Email by Voice! * Much More!
          <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
      <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562