[P1] That windows feeling

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Wed Nov 5 12:00:37 PST 2003

> I already had to download 2 security updates (MS calls them security
> patches)  . In one case I got "server not found"

That might be due to a large amount of traffic as people download the
update.

These "security updates" usually address very minor issues; in most
cases, you could get along just fine without them if you had to. I
think Apple is just being responsible, addressing these problems as
they're uncovered.

> Apps are crashing a bit more these days .. Wonder why .. And .. When it
> happens, this button shows up "report this to apple".. I always found
> that
> very MS-y ...

I've had this happen, too, a few more times than usual, and I suspect
it's /mostly/ due to some programs that might need to be updated to
play nicer with 10.3.

As far as the bug report button, I think this is Apple doing the
common-sense thing, and gathering information. I've read that the bug
reports submitted in this manner will be read, though they won't be as
high a priority as those from developers and beta testers (and people
who are likely to be of more help in these situations); but I can
imagine this getting quickly out of hand. Still, if Apple receives a
flood of bug reports that something in particular has gone screwy, it
might be useful.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net