[P1] Mail won't work with Panther

Christian Dupuis cdupuis at lcc.ca
Thu Nov 6 07:50:29 PST 2003

On 3-Nov-03, at 6:12 PM, Ron Reames wrote:

> OK, I got one problem solved, but another has shown up.
> Mail and Safari are working after I deleted the prefs the second time.
> But I can't get AW6 to recognize any attached keyboard's keypad.
> Nothing shows up when I enter data.
> This is really annoying, because I'm a teacher and need to use a
> keypad.
> I've tried an Apple keyboard and a wireless Logitech.

Hi Ron... How did you install Panther on your system?

When I received it, I initially did an upgrade install over 10.2.8.
While it worked, I kept experiencing strange issues with networking,
Safari, printing and so forth. After wiping the system clean and
reinstalling Panther from scratch, I'm now back up and running.

Here's what I did, in sequence (I have a .mac account, and used the
Apple Backup  utility)

1.	Used the Apple Backup program (the latest version) to backup the
Mail message files and accounts, as well as my iPhoto library, and the
contents of the Documents folder to an external drive (you could use a
CD if your stuff fits; my data took about 12 Gb).

2.	Erased the disk and installed Panther. I then applied the security
patches and updates (already!?!!).

3.	Downloaded the backup app from my .mac account (I have it somewhere,
but with the number of CDs and DVD-Rs I've got laying around, it was
faster that way). I then restored the files from my backup.

I had to supply passwords for my email accounts when I launched mail
for the first time (seems I didn't backup the contents of the
keychain). I have to After that, all's up and running fine. No more
connectivity weirdness, problems with Safari and difficulties
connecting to printers or network shares. Works for me.

And, yeah, I like it better than Jaguar. ;-)

Chris