[P1] Ram and battery life

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Mon Nov 10 07:25:41 PST 2003

> A while ago I owned a G3 WallStreet. I bought a 512mb ram upgrade, and
> after
> that, battery life dropped by half. I now have a G3 ibook (twin USB).
> It
> only has the original RAM configuration, and I want to increase the
> memory,
> can anyone tell me if it is likely to have the same effect on battery
> performance?

In my experience (with an earlier iBook), you shouldn't have any
problems. (In fact, if you're using OS X, you should come out ahead of
the game, since more physical memory means less disc access for virtual
memory, and better battery life.)

But there shouldn't have been a *that* significant a drop in battery
life after installing RAM; that's very, very odd. There's bound to be
some power consumption, I suppose, but not that much. (Even if your
Virtual Memory use was causing increased disc access, why would you
need it after installing so much more RAM?)

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net