[P1] CD Burner And Toast Keep Giving Me Sass

Fred Stevens K2FRD K2FRD at stny.rr.com
Wed Nov 12 05:21:30 PST 2003

At 7:18 AM -0500 11/12/03, Jack Rodgers wrote:
>There are a few possiblities for your error code:
>
>1) Your drive is in need of repair.

It's brand new (three months old), used maybe ten times. If this
turns out to be the problem, at least it's still under warranty.

>Try burning a CD using the Apple's built in Burn CD, under the file
>menu. Insert your cd, name it, drag files onto it, select File:Burn
>CD. If that doesn't work, call Apple Support for a probably repair.

Did it. I noticed the problem using the iBook's native CD burn software...

>2) If you can burn a CD using Burn CD, then your Toast software may
>need an update for 10.2.8, visit their website, or

...Then, thinking there might be a problem with the iBook's CD burn
software, I installed Toast Lite 5.2.1 which I happened to have on
hand from my old 7300 when I tried installing a CD burner (which is
why I broke down and upgraded to this iBook since I was having so
much trouble installing the burner on the 7300)...

No difference with Toast. Same problem:  it reports error problems
while trying to burn a CD. I downloaded Roxio's Toast Lite update
5.2.1, but it wouldn't install since my Toast Lite CD is already
updated to 5.2.1.

>3) Toast needs to be reinstalled or your preferences trashed.

Yesterday was the first I had installed Toast.

>4) You may have corrupt files you are trying to burn.

This may very well be the problem. I noticed the write-to-CD would
stop at certain points, so I'd go into the assigned files/folders and
delete those which were suspect. This sometimes got the CD to burn.

>5) You need to reread the manual.

Wasn't too helpful; didj'a ever notice that manuals seldom explain
the error codes that you're experiencing?

>6) Something else...

I may go out and buy some GOOD blank CDs just to see if it's the
cheap CDs causing the problem.

Will keep working on it.

--
73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD