[P1] New iBook User, Questions

Brandon M. Bost bbost at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 13 19:11:02 PST 2003

On 11/13/03 4:51 PM, "david" <davidwb at spymac.com> wrote:

> On 11/13/03 5:24 PM, "Brandon M. Bost" <bbost at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> By the way, I would
>> hope to make a really good backup of everything just in case something
>> happened, and the only access I have to a CD burner is on my PC.  Is this
>> idea feasable:
>>
>> 1) Make, using Toast (which came on the computer as well, I have no idea why
>> since it doesn't have a CDRW...maybe it had an external one...) an iso of
>> most of the stuff on the harddrive
>> 2) Using a crossover cable, transfer the files through the ethernet ports
>> 3) Using the CD burner software on my PC, make backup CDs with the ISO
>> files?
>>
>> Would this work, and how could I go about doing this so that they would work
>> on my Mac?  Or, if anybody has a better idea (which, for the moment, buying
>> a CD burner is out of the question at least for a few more months) please,
>> let me know.  Thanks again.
>
> For reasons I won't go into unless you are interested, you don't want to
> just copy Mac files over to the PC. Use Stuffit (or the Mac's built in zip
> compression) to compress files before you copy them to your PC. Then you can
> burn them to a CD. Your Mac will be able to read a standard single session
> CD made on a PC.

Well, that's why I said I would make an ISO image, unless making a zip file
would be better (which would since I'm having to transfer it...hmmm...maybe
I can make an ISO image, then zip it...). My real worry is that something
that I copy over to the PC, no matter how I get it there, won't burn and
work.  But thanks for the info, I'll definitely give it a try.