[P1] fixing power cord

viaoddbrainstorm viaoddbrainstorm at mac.com
Fri Nov 14 21:26:31 PST 2003

On Friday, Nov 14, 2003, at 21:46 America/Denver, Ron Reames wrote:

> The power cord on my iBook is just about ready to come apart where the
> wire meets the jack.
> Is there any fix for this?

This happened to me with my first i-Book after the cord was kicked on a
remote work site and no other recourse than to make it work before my
battery went dead.  I carefully dissected the cord near the computer
plug with a razor blade separating the external ground sheathing from
the center positive wire which was still intact.  I added a short
length of similarly sized wire, soldered each end to the added piece of
wire and taped it up really well.  It still works to this day.  The
wire left on the outside of the dissected plug was about 3/16'' long,
but i was still able to make it work.  I would have bought another
charger but my fix still works whenever I need to use this computer.

David