[P1] fixing power cord

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Sun Nov 16 12:23:20 PST 2003

On the power cord between the plug and the brick, there is a "cord
clip" It is like a figure 8 in white plastic. One "O" is circled around
the power cord itself and the other "O" has an open end to hold the
cord.

I loop the power cord into the "hook" (open "0") at the plug end to
prevent strain on the cord from movement and to prevent undue pressure
on the plug/cord junction when it is on my lap. (I usually have one
knee folded under me, usually the plug side)

When I use the podium pad, I further loop the power cord around one of
the upright columns at the opposite end from the plug. Since I
frequently forget to check whether I am on ac or battery when I
impulsively decide to change location, this prevents me from stressing
the plug end when I start moving.

That said, I have had Mac laptops for 3 years and never had a cord
fray. Not even on my clamshell which got a lot more abuse than my ibook
does. One rule I have used is that the ac gets disconnected from the
laptop before I pack it in the bag. I rarely take the time to roll up
the cord but I do make sure it gets packed in a roomy compartment and
check that the plug is not bent at the cord junction.

Mac Computer Show and Sale December 13th
Info at www.wap.org