[P1] Email name

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Mon Nov 17 07:00:49 PST 2003

On Nov 17, 2003, at 8:47 AM, Jack Rodgers wrote:

> Once the spammers find a name that works, they'll try it on other
> sites. My dot mac account has never been used and I am the first to
> use that name and I got it when dot mac first began, but it is getting
> spammed...
>
> When I closed my bell south account, I was getting tons of spam.
> Somebody jumped right on it and used the same name. Hah...  enjoy the
> spam sucker... Hey, next time I close an account I'll click on all of
> the spam links first...  :)

I hope you were joking (as noted with the :) present at the end of the
sentence), but to open all the spam links and then abandon an account
would only exacerbate the proliferation of spam and would inundate the
next (innocent) user of that account name (and jackrodgers isn't that
uncommon a name) with spam. That would be unwarranted and cruel and
would not punish the spammers, but only the "sucker" who "jumped right
on" the open account name.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)