Safari Revs CPU to 90% and Keeps it there

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 22 17:32:29 PST 2003

I've discovered an interesting event with Safari and HTTPS with my
bank, doesn't happen with Paypal or when using IE 5. The most relevant
concern with Powerbook or iBook users is that this is a real battery
drain.

Both Safari and IE 5 push the cpu usage, as seen in Activity Monitor in
Panther, up to 95% and usually running 75-85% while the ssl page loads.
IE 5 will drop to almost zero after the page loads but Safari stays
revved at almost 90% after the page is loaded and as long as the page
just sits there. This occurs when surfing my bank's web site.

As long as the htpps window is open, the cpu usage by Safari runs over
85% whether the page is just left loaded in the tabbed interface or
just sent to the background while another application is used.

Odd in that disconnecting from my modem doesn't stop the cpu usage so
it must be something in the web page code.

Maybe it is just bad coding by the bank's web designers, I don't know.
But IE does not have the same persistent cpu usage with the bank that
Safari does. Safari does not have that problem with Paypal, so I am
leaning to a problem with the bank's web pages.

I noticed this because my Powerbook began to overheat and the fan came
on while I was surfing the bank's site. That's when I discovered the
90% cpu usage after opening Activity Monitor.

I did transfer some Safari files from my 15" Powerbook to the 17" so
that could be the villan, but I don't think so.

To summarize, Safari revs the cpu to 90% or so and keeps the pedal to
the metal when I am surfing my bank via HTTPS. It does not do that with
Paypal and Internet Explorer 5 does not do this. The 90% CPU will
continue as long as the Safari page remains open, even if disconnected
from the Internet.

Naturally this continual 90% cpu usage will drain the battery faster
than 0% cpu usage. My 1.3 Gig 17" does not overheat with Mail or
Safari, as long as I am not using ssl and my bank. Then it gets real
hot in the upper left corner near the powerplug.

---
How much data are you willing to lose? How much work are you willing to
redo? To find out, check the date of your last backup. Everything since
then is subject to immediate and permanent loss. How much will it cost
you if you lose that data?

jackrodgers at earthlink.net