[P1] AirPort card not seeing AirPort Base

Tom Burke tom_burke at mac.com
Mon Nov 24 21:12:46 PST 2003

On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 12:29  am, Roberto wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem: I bought on eBay an AirPort card for my third iBook
> (the
> other two already sport one each), but when equipped with this card,
> the
> iBook can't manage to find the AirPort Base.
>
> The strange thing is that it sees the AirPort cards of the other two
> iBooks
> (if I create a network through these), and works even as a software
> AirPort
> Base if properly set.
>
> I tried this same "new" AirPort card on all three iBooks, and the
> results
> are the same: the new card is selectively blind towards the AirPort
> Base,
> but sees the cards of the other two iBooks (if a network is created).
> Of
> course, the other two cards regularly see the AirPort base.

Is the base station set to only allow connections from certain MAC
(that is, hardware) addresses? In many ways that's probably the most
secure system of all, and on a small network it's manageable as well.
If this is the case, there will be a screen in the Base Station
configuration that will allow you to add the MAC address of the new
card to the list of devices that the base station will permit to
communicate with it. This is a part of the 802.11 standard, and pretty
much all base stations permit this.

Tom Burke