Query about 14" iBooks

Mike Wallinga mwallinga at mailup.net
Tue Nov 25 07:10:57 PST 2003

Hello to the list!

I am considering purchasing a new iBook G4.  I've always been a fan of
small, super-portable laptops (my current laptop is a 12" 600 MHz G3
iBook), so I am automatically drawn to the 12" model.  But, the 933 MHz
G4 in the 14" model sounds pretty attractive when compared to the 800
MHz chip in the 12" one.  So, I am torn between portability and power.

To those of you who have used a 14 inch iBook (G4 or not, it doesn't
matter) - and ideally to those of you who have used both a 12 and a 14
inch model:

1. How noticeable is the increase in weight? Is the 14 inch model a
burden if you're carrying it around for several hours?

2. Is the 14 inch model too big to use in cramped spaces (coach airline
seats, buses, back seats of automobiles, etc)?

3. Does the 14" screen provide a more pleasant viewing experience, even
though the resolution is the same as the 12" screen?

4. Are there any other differences, positive or negative, that I'm
missing - heat, battery length, Airport range/strength, etc? Or are
these things not affected by the added size?

5. For a non-graphic arts person (I use web browsers, email, MS Office,
Unix tools, Java programming tools, and do some light gaming - I do NOT
use Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) will the extra speed in the 933 MHz
chip be noticeable?  I'm already expecting a big boost compared to what
I'm used to experiencing -  going from a G3 to a G4, better bus, better
RAM, better video card, etc.  So with all of those factors already in my
favor, how much difference will the processor itself make?

I realize these are all pretty subjective questions with subjective
answers, but that's exactly what I'm looking for - opinions and
anecdotes.  I've already done a lot of research on the products myself,
and know the "technical" answers to these questions.  But, anybody on
the list that could help me make a more informed purchasing decision
based upon their experiences would be much appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance!

- Mike W.