[P1] Query about 14" iBooks

Tom Burke tom_burke at mac.com
Tue Nov 25 07:44:48 PST 2003

I bought a 12" PB in the summer because I wanted two things - a) the
12" size (I work in a very cluttered office at home) and b) the ability
to connect to a monitor and use different resolutions when I needed
something better than 1024 x 768. Previously I had 14" Pismo Powerbook.

I love the small size of the 12" machine. It isn't *that* much smaller
in reality, but it feels a whole more so. In fact the reduction in size
does seem to make it much handier - I can pop the 12" machine into all
sorts of easy hold-alls (protected, of course - I use one of the Tucano
neoprene sleeves) that the 14" PB simply wouldn't go into. I actually
carry the 12" around a lot more than I ever did the 14". I often pop it
into a bag with a digital camera & lenses, and the whole thing is
manageable for quite a long while - I went to Mac Expo in London just
last week equipped just so.

And there's one other thing - the (in)famous 'Open Firmware Display
Hack' for recent (ATI Radeon-equipped) iBooks. It seems that in fact
these recent iBooks can do monitor spanning, not just mirroring, when
you connect an external monitor, but it's disabled in firmware. The OF
Hack reverses that disabling, giving the iBooks the same
monitor-spanning capability as Powerbooks. I'm certain that if I was
buying now I would get a 12" iBook instead of the 12" PB, at a saving
of some £450.....

Oh, the 12" PB is quite noticeably lighter than my old Pismo.

On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 03:10  pm, Mike Wallinga wrote:

> Hello to the list!
>
> I am considering purchasing a new iBook G4.  I've always been a fan of
> small, super-portable laptops (my current laptop is a 12" 600 MHz G3
> iBook), so I am automatically drawn to the 12" model.  But, the 933
> MHz G4 in the 14" model sounds pretty attractive when compared to the
> 800 MHz chip in the 12" one.  So, I am torn between portability and
> power.

Tom Burke