conserving battery life

Ian Sidle ian at iansidle.com
Sat Nov 29 21:37:00 PST 2003

> a) watching mpegs directly from a data DVD.
Actually... an DVD is already literally an data disc. All DVD (movies)
are, is an UDF formatted disk, with an series  of mpeg2 files, created
within an specification. The computer mounts the DVD (just like an data
disc) and using the appropriate software, plays those files.

> b) copying the mpegs from the DVD to my hard drive to play
> (will have to delete afterwards due to limited space).
Indeed. This would significantly decrease battery drain. Make sure to
do the copy when plugged in, otherwise your battery savings would be
marginal.

With the RAM disk proposals, it certainly would be possible do that
with an dvd-rip to an compressed format before hand. A.K.A Using
divx/mpeg-4 and the like. Although, this would require significant work
(CPU Time) before hand to do this. Also the quality will not be as good
(but,  if well crafted/selected settings, then it is
indistinguishable). In reality, I wouldn't do it.

Of interest is also, an number of airlines are providing on flight
power. There is the sockets in business class and coach, if you look
carefully enough on newer planes. You'll probably need your own power
adapter (to DC  power). Recently, attendants have also been handing out
large tray-sized batteries,  which would have enough power for you
laptop through the entire flight. Some airlines do it for free and some
do not (with an "small" fee). Ask around, nobody advertises it (for
some reason). There is also companies where you can buy these batteries
(for ~$200-$300) and keep it for yourself. Excellent idea for an
frequent traveler.

thanks,
Ian