[P1] bad AppleCare experience on video repair

William L Carr jkirk3279 at beanstalk.net
Wed Oct 1 12:00:07 PDT 2003

>> I've just had an unpleasant experience with AppleCare.
>> My 12" 16VRAM iceBook has been left with a deranged
>> display for about a second at the end of OSX (10.2.6)
>> startup, at the end of the gray screen, _before_ the
>> quick flashes and change to the blue background.

Well, I've seen this sort of thing.   On PowerMacs, you can get an odd
flash when changing resolutions.   Or after a Force Restart.    I think
I saw it once on my iBook.   Scared me but it went away.

I'm not an Apple Tech, (I wish!)  but I'd guess that it's a static
burst of some kind.   You could look into getting an anti-static mat
for your iBook.   I know I read about these someplace.   The plastic
case isn't as well grounded at Titanium or Aluminum would be.

Put the iBook on the anti-static mat and ground the mat to a water
pipe.   I had to do this with my PowerMac because my cousin has a
freaky ability to crash computers by touching them...but just some
times a month...

Jkirk