[P1] bad AppleCare experience on video repair

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Thu Oct 2 10:52:31 PDT 2003

These repairs have been done under the extended AppleCare,
the iBook is > 1 yr old, & babied.  The situation is like, say,
having the hood on your car flip up while you're driving so
you can't see.  The hood hinges are bent so you take the car
to the repair shop.  They fix the hood, but when you get the
car back there's a dent in the door and the steering wheel
doesn't work right.  You send it back and they fix the
steering wheel, but they say the car door dent doesn't
affect the "functioning" of the car, so they don't have to
fix that, even tho they caused it.  I'm thinking of taking
some photos and posting them, but that would just mean
the bad repair would be making me waste even more time.

Just guessing how things go, it seems to me that it could
have been a sloppy tech who mishandled the new logic board
or something else in the iBook (like he/she didn't reconnect
the trackpad properly), or a bad replacement logic board,
or--who knows, tho I hate to think it--they're reusing bad
but not totally failed parts on later jobs.  This repair
was done in Tenessee, "Flextronics" per the shipping label.
I thought laptop repairs all used to be done in Texas, and
have had some done there fine--maybe Apple's sales success
meant they needed another repair facility and this one's not
as good?  I seem to recall another poster on this list a
while ago--maybe she got a PB and has left this list??--
had a video problem with her iBook which AppleCare repair
had trouble with, needing a few returns.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Richard McKay wrote:
 . . .
> Not had it that bad, my screen does show a thin vertical line on the right
> hand side at that time but then is fine.
>
> Personally, I would be asking the question if Applecare or other warranty is
> valid for 12 months from the current repair time or if it is going to run
 . . .