[P1] recalibrating ibook battery

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Mon Oct 6 00:00:50 PDT 2003

On 2003-10-06 08:45, e.mkeene wrote:

>> The battery needs to be re-calibrated from time to time to keep the
>> onscreen battery time and percent display accurate. You should
>> perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then
>> every few months thereafter."
>>
>> The procedure for re-calibrating is to first fully charge your
>> PowerBook, then disconnect it from the external power source and run
>> it until there is no power left (the machine goes to sleep). Then
>> connect the adapter and full recharge.
>>
> Does anybody know if there is a problem if the battery is re-calibrated
> too often? The reason I ask is because my normal work habit is to keep
> the ibook plugged in to ac with the battery installed and sleeping when
> I am not using it. Then if it is convenient, I leave it in that same
> state while I am working. When ac is not convenient, I unplug and run
> it on battery. Most of the time I run it until I get the reserve dialog
> and replug. Sometimes, I run on battery for awhile and when I get back
> near the ac, plug it back in even if it has not run down to reserve.
>
> Any comments of how this does or does not affect battery life? As far
> as the battery indicator goes, it seems to be quite consistent and the
> amount of battery time I get on a full charge also seems to be
> consistent. I have not actually timed it and tracked it because some of
> the battery time may be spent sleeping intermittently. I run it with
> the monitor on max brightness and with airport always on and get about
> 4hours consistently of steady use on battery. I do have the energy
> settings set to dim screen with 2 min of inactivity and to sleep the
> system with 8 minutes of inactivity even on ac. I don't use the
> speakers alot

Li-Ion batteries don't degrade gradually; they just lose a large portion of
their capacity rather suddenly.

To keep it alive for as long as possible, try to minimize the number of
discharge/charge cycles as much as possible. In other words: use AC power
whenever possible. Oonly recalibrate your battery when you notice the
battery charge indication being off.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Dead end
You are at a dead end of a dirt road.  The road goes to the east.
>take shovel
Taken.
>eat shovel
You forcefully shove a shovel down your throat, and start choking.

You are dead.
You have scored 0 out of a possible 90 points.
--
Joost van de Griek
<http://www.jvdg.net/>