[P1] recalibrating ibook battery

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Mon Oct 6 06:18:10 PDT 2003

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, e.mkeene wrote:

> > The battery needs to be re-calibrated from time to time to keep the
> > onscreen battery time and percent display accurate. You should
> > perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then
> > every few months thereafter."
> >
> > The procedure for re-calibrating is to first fully charge your
> > PowerBook, then disconnect it from the external power source and run
> > it until there is no power left (the machine goes to sleep). Then
> > connect the adapter and full recharge.
> >
> Does anybody know if there is a problem if the battery is re-calibrated
> too often? The reason I ask is because my normal work habit is to keep
> the ibook plugged in to ac with the battery installed and sleeping when
> I am not using it. Then if it is convenient, I leave it in that same
> state while I am working. When ac is not convenient, I unplug and run
> it on battery. Most of the time I run it until I get the reserve dialog
> and replug. Sometimes, I run on battery for awhile and when I get back
> near the ac, plug it back in even if it has not run down to reserve.
>
> Any comments of how this does or does not affect battery life? As far
[snip]

I did basically the same thing as you. Now my battery is completely dead.
It will not even charge. The power adapter light turns amber for about ten
minutes, then green and the "no battery connected" icon apppears in the
menu bar wehere remaining time would normally be.

I have tried resetting the power manager, to no avail. This battery will
not charge at all. I called Applecare, they told me I have to buy a new
battery. Maybe I should try again and hope the next person is nicer.
Besides, how do we know it isn't something in my iBook that prevents the
battery from charging, nit the battery itself?? Should Applecare provide a
new battery if I'm in the warranty period??

Allan