[P1] OS9 compatibility on latest models?

Ruffin Bailey rufbo1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 10 05:01:15 PDT 2003

>> Jaguar installs OS 9, most often referred to as Classic...
>
> No, it doesn't.

I think, perhaps, that the original post meant that if you buy an iBook today with Jaguar, it'll install/come with Classic.  My recent iMac purchase did.  I'm not sure if buying 10.2 separate, "in its own box", would, however (it appears from your links that it does not, and that stands to reason somewhat).

>> Panther will also contain Classic (OS 9).
>
> No, it won't.
>
> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106966>

Again, what would be most interesting would be if Panther-equipped new machines didn't come with Classic on the Software Restore CDs (nor, of course, preinstalled on the hard drive).

Covering a slightly different angle -- As I understand it, the new iBooks will still even *boot* into OS 9- (Macmall is advertising that they run "Mac OS X v10.2 and v9.2", which has meant "bootable" in the past).  I've seen it said that iBooks aren't dropping OS 9 just yet b/c they're being pitched to schools that still swear by 9, but I'm also guessing it's b/c the mobo's are a bit behind the rest of the machines.  Regardless, that is a nice "feature".  These are perfect OS 9 machines -- way too fast for OS 9 if anything!

I haven't tried an OS lower than 9 on my 500 MHz iBook.  I doubt that would work well, if that's a requirement.

There are some applications that won't work in Classic mode in OS X.  The only one that immediately comes to mind is a great game franchise, Combat Mission (Beyond Overlord is the first in the series, I believe), but [a very few] other apps have had trouble, I believe.  Just a small extra caveat there.

Ruffin Bailey

--
If you subscribe to email lists, you *need* The Digest Handler!!
For Mac OS X and Windows 98-XP  |  http://digestHandler.webhop.org/