[P1] sudden long "sleep"-unconscious!

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 11 04:14:49 PDT 2003

On Saturday, October 11, 2003, at 05:50  AM, Kim Gammelgaard wrote:

>> I left my iBook alone for a couple hours with the telephone line
>> connected and plugged in to power.
>> When I returned, it was dark, no blinking "sleep" light. I fiddled
>> with
>> it and pressed the power button a couple times. Zilch. I prayed, laid
>> hands on, removed the battery and reinserted it, then pressed the
>> power
>> button firmly again. It started, and went through a long time on the
>> initial screen with that little gear thingy turning, and then finally
>> came up seemingly okay.

When the battery power runs out, the screen goes black and no pushing
of the start button or any key will restart the mac. I often get caught
with this, panic, and think the old powerbook has died. Then I remember
and plug it in and everything is OK.

Now, some people might ask, how could my battery get drained when it is
plugged into the wall. One answer might be that the particular plug
used is tied to light switch so that when you flip it, a desk lamp will
turn on or off. When you leave the room you turn of the lights AND THAT
PLUG. So, there is no incoming power and the book switches to battery
power and can drain itself dry. When you return, you hit the switch
turning the lights back on but your book has shut off, etc.

---
I am not afraid to make mistakes. In fact, I have become fairly
competent in that regard.

<http://www.JackRodgers.com>
<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>
JackRodgers at earthlink.net