[P1] Panther OS 10.3

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Sat Oct 11 13:07:19 PDT 2003

> But, beyond what is advertized in the flier as advancements (new
> Finder, Expose, FileVault and several other listed features) and
> "enhanced Windoze compatability", it would be nice to know what
> additional features and advantages OS 10.3 might have.

The PDF improvements are enough for me (a jumped-up tech writer) to
upgrade. Panther has GhostScript bundled in (not a really big deal
since it compiles out of the box) and a much-improved Preview. I seem
to remember hearing that it will let you copy text *and* graphics out
of PDFs.

There's also an XML parser built in... not sure which one (expat,
gnome-xmllib, something java, or home-grown are all possibilities).
Exposé looks pretty good too -- and performance improvements are always
welcome; it's a lot easier to convince the wife to drop $129 on a new
OS than $2000 on a new laptop. :-D

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."