MT-NewsWatcher problem

Stan Marks swmarks at allvantage.com
Sat Oct 18 13:09:27 PDT 2003

I have an iBook 700, 640 MB RAM. I use MT-NewsWatcher (OS-X version) to read
and post to newsgroups and Explorer 5.2 as my primary/default web browser. I
also have the latest versions of Safari and NetScape installed, but I prefer
Explorer (although I know that many Mac users don't like anything from
MicroSoft ;). The problem I'm having is in opening web links from
NewsWatcher.

If I open a link from NewsWatcher (CMD-click) after a fresh launch, the link
will open in Explorer. However, any subsequent attempts to open links from
MT-NW will launch NetScape, instead! Furthermore, once NetScape is opened,
any attempts to open links from MT-NW are ignored, other than to make
NetScape active. If I quit and relaunch NewsWatcher, it will again default
to Explorer the *first* time I open a link, but (again) any subsequent
attempts to open a link will default to NetScape.

I have tried deleting NetScape entirely, but the second time I try to open a
URL from NewsWatcher, it get the following error message:

"Could not find an appropriate URL helper program."

Can anyone tell me what the heck is going on with all this?

Stan Marks