[P1] DHCP connection on Tangerine iBook

Derrick Rodriguez drrodrig at mines.edu
Mon Oct 20 20:36:49 PDT 2003

On Monday, October 20, 2003, at 08:43  PM, Marc Bosch wrote:

> Fellow listers,
>
> My daughter has not been able to connect to her university's network
> with her tangerine 300mhz iBook running OS9.2.2.
>
> Other iBooks, running OSX, can connect, and it is a very PC-dominant
> school.
> She has had some tech support for the basic TCP/IP settings, but they
> have not resolved it.  This "should" be a no-brainer.
>
> Her TCP/IP control panel is configured for DHCP and ethernet, and they
> have given her appropriate IP addresses to try, even though that
> should not be necessary for DHCP. She has tried the DHCP manual
> settings as well.
>
> She tried and verified a host of "possible" causes: ethernet cord,
> wall plug, trashed TCP/IP preferences, removed MacTCP DNR file,
> rebuilt desktop, set Apple Talk CP to ethernet, used Apple Knowledge
> Base docs on this topic, and other.
>
> Two Questions:
> 1.  Is it possible the school's network protocols have been set to
> accept "only" Windoze OS and Mac OSX machines?
> 2.  Are there other settings or configs that we are overlooking?
>
> Any help will be appreciated. TIA.
>
> PS. Installing OSX is an option we are pursuing.  Should have done
> that before.....
> Thanks!
> Marc

On most campuses, you have to register your MAC address (Media Access
Control) with the IT Department before you can connect to their
network.  You've probably already seen it, but the following link shows
where to find your MAC address within OS 9.2.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/its/services/networkra/
macaddress.shtml#mactcpip

hth,

Derrick