[P1] How to apply for lawsuit settlement? & Panther on 366

Ruffin Bailey rufbo1 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 31 20:20:19 PST 2003

> I'd have to do some research to confirm this; but I suspect the reason
> for the suit (and the reason Apple agreed to settle) is because *Apple*
> made claims that the equipment was supported, and that the software
> would run adequately. You may know better, but many novice computer
> users (the type of consumers Apple has been courting with the iBook and
> iMac lines) would have had no reason not to take Apple at their word on
> this.

I'd probably go a step further and say that Apple has finally come to the conclusion that they *can't* deliver.  Jaguar was faster than 10.1 was much faster than 10.0 -- and it appears Panther has them all licked for performance.  Even so, not even Panther can provide for running X on original iMacs and iBooks.  Rather than deliver on what I'm sure was their original intent, Apple's finally given up the goat and moved on.

Which is to say, I don't think you can argue with anyone who jumps on board.  Apple isn't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts to put resources into the hands of the needy; Apple is trying to make things right with people who they've slighted so that they can, in effect, put resources promised to optimize X into other areas.  Let's face it, if Apple *really* wanted to throw millions in development dollars into getting X to run well on an old 366, they could!

I know I wouldn't want to run current versions of OS X on a 366, even Panther (I take that back, I *would* want to run OS X there, which is the whole issue!), and would horribly frustrated that X wouldn't run relatively quickly on such a box.  Even booting my 500 MHz into OS 9 occasionally is like getting a whole new computer!  ;^)  Thanks heavens for my G4 iMac; I can finally enjoy X without much qualification.

Ruffin Bailey

--
If you subscribe to email lists, you *need* The Digest Handler!!
For Mac OS X and Windows 98-XP  |  http://digestHandler.webhop.org/