[P1] iBook questions

Joe Jones joham at jo-ham.com
Thu Sep 4 09:42:27 PDT 2003

And IEEE 1394 is known by many names. Apple helped to draft the spec
and dubbed it Firewire. Sony took it up and used it on their cameras
some laptops and called it iLink (which sounds more like a Mac name -
maybe it was a subtle nod to Apple). Some manufacturers  just write
'1394' on the port.

I can't see the majority of consumer devices using Firewire any time
soon. USB (1.1) is more than adequate for most data transfer for
digital cameras, scanners and webcams.

Some negative scanners benefit from firewire since the amount of data
they grab on each scan is huge, and obviously CD/DVD burners and hard
drives benefit.

I think the two buses will coexist for some time yet.

Joe