[P1] iBook questions

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Sat Sep 6 15:12:49 PDT 2003

>> IEEE (firewire) is almost 100% nessacary these days....cameras,
>> printers ,
>> scanners, ect....

For those of us who have been using Macs for a long time, I see
Firewire as
a replacement for the SCSI bus & USB replacing ADB. Thus, Firewire is
what
you use for high-bandwidth peripherals (video, outboard disks,
scanners) --
although you can do all of that with USB, it's slower. Granted, I
haven't seen
any Firewire scanners, but I wish I did....

As for printers, the only reason you'd need a Firewire connection is if
you
were using a RIP (rasterizer) on the Mac -- think of it as the reverse
of a
scanner. Even PostScript doesn't require that much bandwidth, especially
if you use binary mode.

I haven't had the need to use the Firewire port on my iBook yet,
although
since my wife does video editing, we use it on her G4 quite a bit. :-)

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."