[P1] What type of drive is needed to make vcds?

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Sun Sep 7 02:51:55 PDT 2003

> So only select dvd players will play vcds, right? But all dvd players
> will play dvd movies right? How can you tell if vcds will play on a
> dvd player, what do you have to look for? How long of a movie can i
> put on a vcd vs a dvd? Thanks josh

It is not that simple. If you already have a dvd player, try to find
someone with a cdrw burner so you can burn some experimental disks
before you buy your burner. If you have not purchased a dvd player yet,
it is much simpler. Buy the burner of your choice, burn s video on
several kinds of cdrs and cdrws, Take these down to your favorite
electronic superstore on a slow day and explain you need to find a
player that works with your burner. Insert the disks and evaluate what
your best option is.

According to Apple, the superdrives using DVD-R will play in 65-75% of
the dvd players on the market.  Before you get a DVD burner, try to do
some research about what the mfg. states the burned discs will play in.
If possible, find somebody that has the same brand and again, burn some
test disks unless you are willing to buy another player if necessary.
Also, check with Roxio to see if the Toast lite will actually burn DVDs
or if it burns CDs and CDRWs only.

If there is a user group in your area, they would be a good resource
for you to use as you research what you want to do and what you will
have to purchase in order to accomplish that goal. If you intent is to
create "home movies" or their equivalent, I would strongly suggest you
stay with iMovie and a cdrw to burn the disks. There is a lot less
expense involved and more chances of success if you are using an iBook.
If you can make a user group connection, you may be able to work out a
deal with a user that has a superdrive. You could create the movie on
your ibook and get the other person to author and burn it with iDVD for
you. If you need to make many copies of the same DVD, it may be cheaper
to have a replicator service produce them for you from your master.
That would be more likely to produce DVDs that are compatible in the
mojority of all dvd players.

If you are not in a hurry to start making DVDs, wait awhile until the
dvd format formalizes and you will have less variables to worry with.
Now that the Mpeg 4 format has been standardized, the only remaining
hangup is the Hollywood faction and with any kind of luck, they will
rapidly realize that standardizing the format will make them more money
in the long run just like VHS did for videotape.