OT: Help w/ ibook Net connectivity in UK

Tom Karlen tkarlen at appleisp.net
Tue Sep 9 07:36:30 PDT 2003

Greetings:

My college age daughter is spending the semester in London.  She has
an SE 366 ibook with Airport card installed.  Presently her only
Internet access is a Window$ :( computer lab at school. She has
managed to figure out the electricity differences, but is having a
hard time with getting net access with the ibook.  Plugging into the
Windows lab w/ ethernet is one alternative, but the lab hours are
limited and its not convenient to her flat.  Starbucks & a few other
coffee houses offer wireless access on a monthly basis, but its
pricely at about $45 .   The best and most convenient alternative
would be a dialup account using the phone in her flat.  She tells me
that phone lines are not billed like they are in the US, but by the
minute, which is quite expensive.  In my web searches I found a good
number of free ISP's in the UK, so I'm hoping that someone can help
me with understanding the rate structures of  dial-up access in
London, so I can determine whether its financially feasible to go
this route.  Feel free to reply directly off-list.  TIA

Tom
Tom Karlen

tkarlen at appleisp.net

http://www.appleisp.net/~tkarlen