[P1] Can anyone...

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Wed Sep 10 00:42:44 PDT 2003

Pat D. Stephens wrote the following:

> Tell me where to find out how to update an external drive?  It's on 9.1
> and I want it on Classic....

Pat,

If I understand you correctly, you want to update an external drive to OS X
with classic as well and the drive is currently only OS 9?

If so you need only put the OS X cd in your Mac, make sure that the external
drive is connected and then reboot the Mac...during reboot period turn on
the external drive power and start from the CD (press C) and if all went
well you should start from the CD...it should show you the installer for X
and you should proceed normally until you get to the stage where it asks
what disk to install on...then if the external drive has been recognised it
will allow you to select it and proceed as normal...

Or you could change the startup volume in system preferences to have the OS
9 (external drive) as the startup volume...Then insert the CD and reboot the
Mac with the c key held down....

either way it should work without problems...

Let us know how it worked

Cheers,

Richard