weird netscape

don hinkle donhinkle at att.net
Sat Sep 20 13:12:17 PDT 2003

I was glad when I upgraded to OS X and got a newer Netscape to browse
with. Under OS 9, the Netscape 4.x I was using kept using up memory and
not returning it so eventually it would crash and I'd have to reboot.
Now, however, using "Memory Usage Getter," which keeps track of what's
using what resources, I find that each time I activate Netscape--that
is, dial up and connect--it takes more RAM. It starts out at a modest
41MB and keeps building. Now it's up to 72MB; eventually it will shoot
past the 80MB mark and head for 160. At which point, I'll have to Quit
the program and restart.

Can someone explain why it behaves this way, like a houseguest who
starts out meekly, staying out of the way, but gradually becomes more
and more obnoxious, cleaning out the fridge, occupying the couch and the
remote control, etc. (stopping before this metaphor runs away with me...)

--
donald henry hinkle

Author of OKLAHOMA, a brief story about a state, ISBN 0-7660-5138-2, and
RONALD REAGAN, a biography of the 40th President of the USA, ISBN
0-7660-5112-9, both published in 2003 by Enslow.