[P1] combo drive won't open properly

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Sun Sep 21 05:53:08 PDT 2003

Brian D. Hudson wrote the following:

> Does anyone know why a combo drive won't open properly when there is a
> CD in it that I am trying to eject?  Sometimes it works, most of the
> time it doesn't.  It happens more with CD-R discs, but also with audio
> cd's.  Also, since I am forced to use a pin to open it, I was wondering
> if this could be bad for the drive.

Sorry if I am coming to this thread a bit late but didn't see any answers
yet so thought I would have a go...

It will not explain the problem with the CD-R's unless they are copies of
the music made with another machine...

I experienced the same problem with certain (un) CD's that are protected.
This is a problem with only a few of the audio CD's currently on the market
but nevertheless it happens and will undoubtedly increase. PC's aren't
affected (they still cannot copy the music) but Macs are somehow tricked
into thinking that the cd should not spin down and therefore do not let you
eject them without using the paperclip trick...

You can check if this is the cause by looking at the original cd jewel case
and see if there is a the standard 'compact disc digital audio' stamp in the
case? If not the record company has used a different format that is not
holding to this standard...the buzz word is UN-CD...and therefore does not
need to comply to work with several different cd players...smart trick bad
tactic (especially for us legal music lovers that use Mac's...)

There is unfortunately no work around that I know of...with the exception of
using a different cd drive that is not affected...

There is more information available on the web, for example in German at the
following site:

<http://www.heise.de/ct/03/09/112/default.shtml>

Others may know of other sites in English...

HTH,

Richard