[P1] CCC disaster

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Thu Apr 1 02:02:56 PST 2004

> It is not Carbon Copy Cloner's fault, I don't think. I backed up all
> my stuff and selected my 12 inch snow as the source and the new 14
> inch G4 snow as the target and hit clone, thinking that it would make
> a disk image on the hard drive.

You're right it was not CCC's fault. If you select clone, it will make
an exact copy of the source to the target. That is not the speediest
operation depending on how much stuff is on the drive. However, to
complicate that, you also had different OS's to deal with. As a result,
when you stopped it, the Jag book had not finished copying the Jag os
to the Panther book and the Panther book was left with a fractured OS.

The Panther Book will need an OS  of some kind before you can continue.
I suggest using the cds that came with the Panther book and restoring
it to virginal condition UNLESS you also have a cd included that will
let you separately install the applications that came with the Panther.
My reason for this is because the Panther book will most likely have
newer or different apps that can not be restored any other way. If you
have a separate apps cd for the Panther, you can clone the Jag to the
Panther book and then upgrade to Panther and install the new apps.

After the panther book has been restored, Target fire wire the drives
again. This time, using CCC, create a disk image large enough to
contain the Jag stuff first, (create this on the Panther book) then
clone into the disc image. When deciding what to put in the disk image,
remember that the system stuff is Jag and Panther and therefore the Jag
system stuff is not necessary unless you want both a clone and to
transfer data to the Panther book, if so, copy the entire drive to the
disk image, if not, copy only the data that you personally have
created, ie, your user's acct + any files that have been placed
somewhere else than in the user acct, ie, in the application folder. As
a precaution, explore all folders looking for errant data files that
were misplaced, especially in the documents folder to the left of the
home folder, the one that belongs to the hard drive not to a specific
user.

If you clone everything, you will be able to open the disk image on the
Panther book and transfer what you want to the Panther book and leave
the clone image intact. I personally lock my disk image so it will stay
intact no matter how many times i use it or how confused i get while
using it.

Mike Bombich has a very lengthy and thorough online document that
further explains this procedure and has suggestions for backup
strategies.

http://www.bombich.com/mactips/index.html