[P1] applciations slow to open

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Wed Apr 7 11:09:30 PDT 2004

Am 7/4/04 2:24 pm schrieb "Janice F. Jorgensen" unter
<janicejorgensen at charter.net>:

> Since I have wirelessly networked my ibook dual usb... all the applications
> are slow to open. I have 384 ram.  any ideas?

Are you using OS 9 or X?

Assuming that you are not sharing files, using the iBook as a server for
other machines to print,etc... or providing iTunes services over that
network to others try the following;

In 9 try rebuilding the desktop. Do this by restarting and after the system
extensions start appearing on the monitor press the apple and the option
keys down until a dialog box asks if you really want to rebuild the
desktop...say yes and wait. This should be done every month or so.

In X, what version?

Has it been a long time since you last rebooted? Have a look at the Process
viewer and 'top -u' in terminal (pre 10.3) or Activity Monitor (10.3+) to
see how much memory is being used in total by what applications...If it has
been a while since your last reboot, try rebooting now or consider running
the daily cleaning routines needed by the system such as cron jobs, etc...

How big is your hard drive and how full is it?

Empty your browser caches and delete historys (or save them first if you are
of that nature)...

You could also consider trying to repair permissions and do an
update_prebinding...(repair permissions with /Applications/Utilities/Disk
Utility and click on the hard drive in the left window then on the first aid
tab on the right and then repair disk permissions. For update_prebinding use
the following command in terminal.app (without the quotes) and after a long
stream of output from the terminal you should be able to feel a difference
in starting apps. You will probably need administrator rights to run this
properly! It rejoins the apps with the files needed to run the apps.

'update_prebinding -root /'

Finally, if you are not using a journaled file system in X then try running
'fsck -y' on startup in single user mode to see if there are any problems.

Or just use a tool like Cocktail/equivalent or disk warrior...

Doing some or all of this should give you the speed back in starting apps.

HTH,

Richard