AirPort Card And Problems

Gerry pepper-1 at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 17 10:52:37 PDT 2004

Good Afternoon,

A week or so ago, I purchased a AirPort card for my iBook, dual USB.
Seeing that I bought a new wireless router, I wanted my iBook to be
used in that mode. The install of the AirPort card went well. After
the hardware installation, I downloaded and installed the latest
version of the AirPort SetUp Assistant. I configured it and connected
to my wireless router with no trouble. It worked well throughout the
afternoon, putting my iBook to sleep a few times.

Later that same afternoon, I woke up my iBook from sleep and got an
instant kernel panic. I rebooted and still, I got another kernel
panic. I ran the latest version of DiskWarrior, etc., to no avail. I
went and deleted the AirPort SetUp Assistant, searched for all of the
files, deleted them, then reinstalled the Assistant. After
restarting, I still had kernel panics, but this time, as the Desktop
appeared, I got a kernel panic. I rebooted about 4 times after than
and each time, I got a kernel panic. I took out the AirPort card and
lo and behold, no more kernel panics. I took the card back and
decided that I didn't want to try another card.

I have searched the Apple Discussions and found numerous people with
this same scenario and also, postings on the MacIntouch site.

Before I decide and purchase another AirPort card, I would really
appreciate anyones input and if they too have had the same experience
that I had. Also, if they found a solution to this mess.

Please post to our list and e-mail me off of the list, if you will.

TIA,

Gerry