[P1] (2 for 1) Still struggling with wireless, and a question about fragments

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Tue Apr 20 14:32:35 PDT 2004

A rule of wireless security is, never administer an access
point wirelessly, always do it via a hardwire ethernet cable.
Then, just set your Mac to have an IP address in the same
subnet as the access point.

Re disk fragmentation:  I've not thought through the issue
myself since I lack specific info about Apple's implementation of
like harddrive head movement algorithms, and of b-trees, which is
their directory data structure.  But fragmentation is reported
to have much less an effect with MacOS than with Window$.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Jean-Paul Thuot wrote:

> I am still unable to discover, or connect to the admin page of my
> wireless access point, said by the documentation to be at
> 192.168.1.100.  However my network (set via DHCP by my router) is
> 192.168.123.x, so I'm wondering if there is a conflict there.  When I
 . . .
> Coming from a Linux background as I do, I was expecting OSX not to have
> any fragmentation issues, as long as CRON was allowed to do its various
> jobs.  However, I see some 'sales pitches' from companies selling
> de-fragmenters for OSX, which has me wondering.  Can anyone enlighten
> me on this issue?
 . . .