[P1] iBook not booting

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Tue Apr 27 06:52:12 PDT 2004

> I would also tip to the new ram module as well as the first culprit.
> The
> original poster did not mention if they had tried to reboot without
> the new
> ram module? Only that they had removed it.

Reinsert the original ram and try it first. 64MB is not enough RAM to
run the OS but is enough to boot to the ? If that works, the book is
fine. Next take the new RAM and try it in another ibook. BE SURE YOU
INSERT IT HARD ENOUGH TO "LOCK" in the slot asfter you have determined
you have the RAM lined up properly. From experience, I know that is
possible to insert the RAM, lay it down and think it is fully seated
but it is not.

if the Ram works in the 2nd book and shows up in Apple Profiler, the
RAM is good. remove it and insert it the sasme way in your book. If it
boots, check in profiler to b3e sure you are showing all RAM. If it
does not boot, insert the installer disk that should have come with it
and boot to the cd by holding dowm the "C" key. once booted, go to the
file menu and pull dowm disk utilities and run disk first aid on the
drive. Once any drive errors are fixed, shut down the book and re-seat
the RAM firmly. when fully seated, it lies down with a hairspace of
extra room.

Once the RAM is inserted and seated, do not insert the AP card, rather
boot and see if you cansee the RAM in profiler. If so, shut down,
insert the AP card and again check profiler to see if it sees the AP.
If so, you are done. If profiler sees the RAM but not the AP, remove
and follow the steps for confirming the AP is good. If you can not boot
after all of this, you may need to get someone to help you re-check the
components and install them for you.

BE SURE THAT YOU READ AND FOLLOW THE STATIC PRECAUTIONS FOR EVERY STEP.
It is easy to get excited or frustrated and forget to coonect the wrist
strap or forget to put it on. DON'T FORGET.