[P1] iBook not booting

Marc van Gemert listz at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 27 09:52:57 PDT 2004

Joel wrote:

> I recently purchased a 128Mb iBook 500 g3 at a knock down price. Since
> then I've added an AirPort card. I then decided to add more memory. I took
> out the existing 64Mb and added a 512Mb stick and rebooted.
>
> I got a flashing '?' which I unerstand indicates that the System Folder
> can't be found...

<snip>

> I've tried removing all the memory and the AirPort card and I can't see
> anything that I've scratched or moved inside while doing so...

Try resetting the PRAM and PMU:
http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n2238 (Let it boot three times)
http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n14449

Also try resetting the NVRAM in Open Firmware:

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n42642

    1.  Start up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the
Command-Option-O-F key combination during startup.
    2. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram
    3. Press Return.
    4. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all
    5. Press Return.

The reset-all command should restart your Mac. If so, you have
successfully reset the Open Firmware settings.

HTH,
Marc

--
there's no place like 127.0.0.1