[P1] Installing new harddrive on my iBook

PaulKurtz III paulkurtz at mac.com
Fri Apr 30 12:26:45 PDT 2004

I upgraded my icebook to a 40gb 5400rpm toshiba with 16mb cache.  It ran a
little warmer, but worked well.  You need a slim 12.5mm (I think) hd for an
icebook. Try www.xlr8yourmac.com for info on upgrades.

It was rather complicated, but I found a site with all the info I needed.  I
saved it as a file for IE.  I also found some tech docs that helped.  I can
e-mail them to you if you like.

Paul

On 4/30/04 2:35 PM, "KL" <ee7klt at sfsu.edu> wrote:

> Dear All,
> I currently use an iBook Dual USB (Early 2001) with a 10GB IBM DJSA-210 hard
> drive, and would like to upgrade to a larger hard drive. In particular, I am
> interested in getting one with a higher spindle speed (5400 as opposed to
> 4200) and more cache, such as the Toshiba MK 6022GAX , 60 GB (HDD2184).
> On Dealtime.com, this is listed as having a form factor of 2.5"x1/8H and
> uses the DMA/ATA-100 interface while the djsa 210 is a 2.5" slim line and
> uses the DMA/ATA-66 interface.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Seeing how the form factors seem to be different (what is a 'form-factor'
> and how do the slim line and 1/8H differ?), would the toshiba be
> compatible/installable in my iBook? It looks like the toshiba is slightly
> thicker (.39in as opposed to .35in).
>
> 2)Would the higher speed interfaces of 100 or 133 be backwards compatible
> with the 66?
>
> 3) Is it advisable to go up in spindle speed, since this might cause more
> overheating than is 'recommended'?
>
> 4) Finally, has anyone ever done the upgrade by themselves? What are you
> experiences/results?
>
> Thanks much,
> KL

> <ibook-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.  <ibook-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> --  Canon Digital Camcorders start at $799       |  Free iBook!   |

>               |  iBook News, Features, Reviews & More.
>
>  RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20 Traveler

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to
realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
-Ronald Reagan