Hard disk crash file recovery

Bill Raffensperger raffy at macsrule.com
Sun Aug 8 19:45:37 PDT 2004

My boy's iBook had a hard drive crash at 9 months. We wanted to send
the drive to away to get data recovery and were quoted fees of $900 to
$1500 and up. We also wanted the iBook fixed. Sending it to Apple was
out of the question because, if they fix it there is NO WAY to get your
drive back. Even though it seems this problem would occur at some
frequency, they have NO option to return the computer and the bad
drive. Apparently they need the drive to document the component failure
and then they somehow stick it to the vendor. So we found an Apple
authorized repair facility who would fix the iBook under the Apple Care
warranty and return the drive. But it cost us $210 to get the bad drive
back.

We still haven't sent the drive away for data recovery, but we have it,
in case we want to see what can be salvaged. There was a was a large
iPhoto library on there that we wanted back. We also bought a 300G
external firewire drive and back up more often, now. There is a good
possibility that if I send the drive away for data recovery, I can
eventually return it to Apple and get my $210 back.

That same iBook (manufacture date first week of August 2003) now has a
logic board problem and is going back to Apple again, this time to
Houston. My iBook (manufacture date second week of December 2001) has
so far been fine.