[iBook] Samba networking questions

Alexandre Leroux alexandreleroux at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:03:26 PST 2004

Hi Jean-Paul,

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:29:01 +0800, Fearsome Orange
<fearsome.orange at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a mixed network (two Windows machines and this here iBook).  I
> have turned on Windows sharing on the iBook, and while I can see it
> from the WinXP machine, I cannot connect.  When I connect I get a
> window that asks for my password, and the username is:
> ip.address.of.ibook\Guest
> which I cannot change (it's 'greyed out').

It worked for me (with a router) after I followed instructions given
by Richard on this list in August:

«
Well, just to make sure that you can share files across the network try the
following:

Windows machine (as an administrator user):

Right click a folder (for example 'shared documents' at C//Documents and
Settings/All Users/ Shared Documents) and ensure that the properties dialog
box shows a check mark next to the folder to 'share this folder on the
network', give it a name (no spaces allowed) and click okay.

In Control Panel, go to Network Connections and right click on the Local
Area Connection and then on status, click on the support tab of the
following dialog box and note the IP address (you'll need this to connect to
the computer from the Mac.

On the Mac:

To simply have a one way connection (i.e. Allowing the Mac to browse the XP
machine but not the other way around) just do the following...

In Finder go to the 'Go' menu bar Heading and then to 'connect to server...'
click this and in the following dialog box type the following:

smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/name of shared folder on XP machine

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the XP machine from above steps
and 'name of shared...' is the name you chose to call the shared folder in
the dialog box on the XP machine.

Click connect and a new dialog box with workgroup, user name and password
fields are available...you should only have to type the password field using
the password from the user account on the XP machine (as if you were logging
onto it directly). Press okay and a new finder window should appear with the
shared document folder...

To be able to share the other way as well (XP can look at and use Mac
folders) do:

On the Mac:

Open system preferences, go to sharing icon and turn on windows sharing (you
may need to authenticate yourself if you have protected important sys prefs
by typing an admin user password). That's it from the Mac side...you are now
vunerable to any windows machine (with the right password).

On the XP machine:

(Note: I tried to get this working as well but without success :-( Maybe
you'll have better luck.

In the start menu click on my network places (or get there from any open
window using the left hand side navigation links).

See if your Mac shows up? If not try this;

On the left hand side links choose: MS windows network and navigate to see
if you see your mac showing up.

If not try: view workgroup computers and navigate to see if you can find it.

If not then last chance is by using a 'dreaded' wizard...use the left link
for add a network place and click through the next buttons till you get to
Internet or network address box: type \\192.168.0.2\your shortlogin name
here (subsituting the appropriate details from your macs IP address and your
login name) click next and finally it *should* appear...type a name for the
mac on this network and click next and then finish. (Note I did not get past
this stage myself so hopefully someone else will be able to help further
here or you will get lucky).

Whatever bizarre name that windows gives your mac 'samba ...' double click
the icon and log in and you can exchange files...

The above ramblings are from my own experience and frustration at the last
minute of trying to exchange files between the two worlds and some helping
guidance from the 'missing manual panther edition by David pogue' which is a
great book and worth getting...

After all that and assuming that you can exchange files both directions from
both machines...go to system preferences and go to the sharing icon...change
to the internet tab/button and make the appropriate choices, such as share
the connection you have (how you currently get online...i.e. Airport) and
then below in the box tick the connection of how the XP machine is trying to
connect (i.e Ethernet) and then turn the internet sharing button on.

Hopefully this will allow you to share files and internet connections along
the network.
»