[iBook] Is this a crash?

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Mon Dec 13 18:11:48 PST 2004

patdart wrote:

> ...  I was reading email thru Mail and had Safari open and suddenly,
> as I attempted to open a new page, all the screens disappeared and a
> plain blue page was visible with nothing on it except the turning
> ball, and as I watched my desktop came up.  I did a restart and all
> seems okay now, but is this a "crash" and what should I do?  Do I have
> maintenance that I need to do?
>
> This is on my iBook, running 10.2.8, in case that matters.

Sounds like the WindowServer process may have crashed and restarted. I
think I've seen that happen once or twice.

No telling what caused the crash; I start seeing static zaps this time
of year & that might have had something to do with it. If the system
seems to be slow or acting flaky, running the stuff in Disk Utility
(First Aid, Repair Permissions) might help. Sometimes, logging out & in
is enough to clear up pokiness (I suspect Safari in 10.2.8 has a memory
leak, but I just switched to Camino).

If everything continues to work properly, I wouldn't worry about it.

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."