[iBook] More on my mail crash troubles

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Mon Dec 13 20:54:37 PST 2004

> 'The Mailbox "~/Library/Mail/POP-tmbridgeland at etc etc my e-mail
> address/INBOX.mbox" is currently locked by "Bridgeland Thomas" on host
> "etc etc my computers name.local.". If you open a mailbox that is in
> use you may damage its contents.

Hi, Tom:

Apple says one cause of this could be that the Application did not quit
properly: "If the application Mail stopped responding or quit
unexpectedly during its last use, it may not have been able to properly
close the files. It is safe to click Open Anyway in this case."

But I've had this happen to me every so often; I *think* what happens
in this case is that the disk becomes overrun by VM swap files, and
there's no room for Mail (or any other program, for that matter) to
write to disk. ("Open Anyway" doesn't work.) In fact, when it happens,
I find I have trouble even quitting other programs, because they can't
write to the Preference files.

What's interesting about this is that there's no obvious sign that the
disk is almost full -- it still shows the usual amount of free space.

Anyway, I force a restart (I usually have to, since several programs
won't quit), and run a utility like MacJanitor to clean out the various
logs and files -- and that seems to solve the problem.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net
<http://www.redjacketpress.com>