[iBook] crashes

Allan Hise allan at hise.org
Thu Dec 23 00:06:49 PST 2004

To everyone suggesting that Don just use iPhoto...

>From what I have read, Don is doing something that iPhoto can't handle. I
think he is using 'Nikon Capture Controller' (I don't remember the name
exactly) which is part of the Nikon Capture software suite. If he is using
that, then :

a) he is probably shooting NEF (Nikon's RAW format) on a high-end camera
(probably a DSLR), which means iPhoto can't handle it

b) if he's using the controller software, then the data isn't saved to the
compact flash at all. The software completely controls the camera, and it
squirts the image to the tethered laptop instantly, so it can be previewed
on a big screen. This is great for studio work.

I don't use the camera control software part of Nikon Capture, but I do
use the Capture editing software with my D100. It works fine, now that I
have upgraded to the latest version. Previous versions did tend to crash
(but not kernel panic) for me.

So, I would suggest:
1) Get Nikon Capture 4 if you don't already have it. It is much imporved
over version 3.
2) Get the latest update off of Nikon's web site. There was an update in
November, I think.
3) Get Panther & upgrade to the most recent version. OWC
(www.macsales.com) is selling Panther for $50 these days. Quite worth it,
IMHO.

Also, if you have 3rd party RAM, you might try running with out it
(painful as it will be) and see if the kernel panics stop.

I hope this helps, and, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of photo
gear do you use?

Allan

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, david wrote:

> I'm assuming your camera uses compact flash memory. If so, it is much more
> convenient to use a card reader than to attach the camera to the computer.
> Once you insert the memory card into the card reader the card will mount as

[snip]