MacOSX Panics When Emptying Trash, Deleting File

Chris Beaumont chris at ncafe.com
Sun Feb 1 09:16:34 PST 2004

I have an iBook running OS 10.2.8 and - suddenly I seem to have
acquired a problem whenever I try to empty the Trash.

When I do so, suddenly the screen partially dims and I get a text
message in several languages telling me I must reboot.

I've run Disk Utility from my system install disks on both of my
partitions and it says the partitions are fine. I've tried repairing
permissions.

However, nothing helps and I cant seem to empty my Trash. There are a
number of files in the Trash and I think I have isolated the
problematic one. However, it does not let me delete it by any way I
know and immediately causes this total system hang when I try.

I've tried Terminal and the same thing happens when I try to delete the
file using sudo there. And then i have to reboot.

I've also rebuilt the directories of both partitions using DiskWarrior
(2.1)
Nothing seems to help.

I thought that Mac OSX was based on Unix, but I have never seen a
problem like this on Unix.

What could be wrong? Does anyone have any ideas on how I might cure
this problem?

Chris