[P1] web oages don't open

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 12:43:37 PST 2004

On Feb 4, 2004, at 9:20 AM, e.mkeene wrote:

> Since Safari is normally so much faster than all the previous browsers
> we've had and since many of us are migrating to faster net service and
> broadband, I think we tend to forget that the ultimate factor that
> controls access to a specific page or site is not us, not our software
> or isp but the equipment and traffic on the site itself.

The facts listed are a subset of all of the conditions which might
affect our surfing.

Here's a quote from today's MacFixit:

Safari Successes On the good side, we've received a good number of
messages from readers who've found that sites that didn't work with
earlier versions of Safari now work with Safari 1.2.

Earlier versions of Safari did not play well with some sites. My bank,
for instance, would cause Safari to rev up to 90% and stay there as
long as I surfed there. The cpu would begin overheating and the fan
would come on with a horrible whine. This has stopped with the latest
rev of Safari and the Java update. I suspect there was a bug in the
older Java that was causing the web page source to continue looping
through some part of the code. But I don't know for sure and I don't
care. I just wanted this fixed and it seems to have been.

I would disagree about the ultimate factor. While the site itself may
be down, overloaded, etc. it can be written with code that our software
doesn't handle well, Microsoft is at the center of this, and our
software can be just plain buggy and not work well.

There is no real ultimate factor, just things to fix. The trail to a
successful site surfing consists of many steps, each of which can fail.
Sometimes it is as easy as deleting a preference file and other times
it can be a component failure in our hardware and so on.

In fact, if you've read this far, you might want to go to MacFixit
today and read about the problems with Safari
<http://www.macfixit.com/>

---
Microsoft's anti-virus poster campaign
<http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=SecurityPosters> leaves out the