[P1] Battery problem

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Tue Feb 10 15:24:13 PST 2004

> I just purchased a new battery for my iBook (still in it's last year
> of AppleCare) because Apple would not replace it under AppleCare.  I
> tried to argue with them on the phone and spoke to a second rep. but
> it seems that they have gotten stricter on replacing batteries on
> older laptops under applecare.  This call took place in January 2004.

To be fair to Apple: depending on how the battery has been used, it's
entirely possible for it to be at the end of its' useful life after two
or three years. There's no reason AppleCare should have to cover that.

But more importantly, Lion batteries need to be treated with some care
to get the longest life out of them; it doesn't surprise me in the
least that Apple would not want the responsibility of providing
replacements for older batteries when they have no control over (and,
really, no way to determine) how the battery has been used, if charging
guidelines have been followed, and so on.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net