[P1] LCD screen & build quality

Larry Zasitko l.zasitko at sasktel.net
Fri Feb 13 09:58:35 PST 2004

I have a iBook (Clamshell) and it has a far better lcd than my Toshiba
portable. It is by far one of the best screens out there and all the
iBooks and Powerbooks that I have seen are just as good. The ones that
you looked at may not have been calibrated correctly. You  could go in
and play around a bit in the system settings for the screen and see if
it improves :-) Depending on lighting where you are looking at them
they might look poorer than they should.

I also posted the following on several of the ibook forums..... Apple
last year made over 900,000 portables split roughly 1/2 iBook 1/2
PowerBook. There is supposedly a class action against Apple over the
faulty logic boards (fault was actually with the company the made them,
not Apple and they were using poorer materials then they should have)
but as far as I know this has been resolved and Apple has a program
where they will replace the logic board at their cost or if you had to
pay to get it fixed they will return your money. In any case they only
has around 1500 signatures on this class action, figure it out as a
percentage and you will see that it is still very low. Heck I would
like to make anything where the failure rate is less than 1%!

I don't think any company with lcd screens will warrant them for long
periods of time. Lcd's over time develop faults including dead pixels
or discolored spots. On my Toshiba the screen was replace 3 times due
to faults and even the last one developed a line all the way across the
screen at about mid point but is faint enough that they will not
replace it. There is also a area about the size of a thumb print that
is also lighter then it should be but again as there is only one tough
luck. It also has several dead or stuck pixels. Point is that if you
check any of the companies that sell portables they all have problems.

Larry Zasitko

clip>