[P1] My IP is screwing up the jpegs

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 18:05:23 PST 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, at 6:15 PM, Mike Beede wrote:

>> So, I presume Sprint is re-compressing the files before sending them
>> to me via my Merlin C201. Anyone agree or disagree? I'll switch to
>> Earthlink dialup in a bit and check them.
>
> That would be pretty suprising.  Your ISP has no idea that a given
> connection
> is being used to download a JPEG, and even if they did, they'd have to
> decode
> and reencode it.  I'll be interested to hear what you find out.

This issue was raised on the GoLive list.

The jpeg inside my GoLive site files is 62KB. The jpeg on my site shows
as 62 KB. When I drag the image from Safari to my desktop it is 32KB
using my Merlin C201 card and Sprint. I haven't tested Earthlink but
that is on my agenda. At this point it looks to me as if the file has
been heavily compressed after it left my site. I would suspect that the
idea is that even if there is a slight delay to recompress, it allows
more throughput through the pipes at Sprint's end. Someone raised the
issue as to whether this is a violation of copyright. Personally I am
unhappy with the pixelation, artifacts and loss of quality.

---
Microsoft's anti-virus poster campaign
<http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=SecurityPosters> leaves out the
one poster that should be included