[P1] LCD screen & build quality

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 14 06:28:33 PST 2004

On Feb 13, 2004, at 11:31 AM, Huff, David wrote:

> So what do y'all think ? Do the new G4 iBooks have decent displays ?
> Were
> the ones I saw at the Apple Store just not well calibrated ? (or was
> it the
> annoying fluorescent lighting in the store ? ;) How does the current
> crop
> compare to the 12" and 15" Powerbooks display-wise ?

The visual quality of the display varies considerably depending upon
several factors, some of which I will list:

Overhead lighting, or ambient lighting. Outdoors is worst and indoors
nice bright fluorescent light gives the best result with incadescent
light bulbs the worst.

Open the preference pane Displays and make sure the Colors: is set to
Millions and the proper resolution is set. These get changed. Adjust
the brightness. CLick on the Color tab to switch panes. Choose each
Display profile to see if you prefer LCD, RGB or sRGB. YOu can even
calibrate your own. (I think in older systems Color Sync is the
choice.)

And, most importantly, adjust the angle of the LCD relative to your
eye. If the angle is less than 90, or perpindicular, the screen will be
lighter and if greater than 90 it will be darker. At 90 degrees I see
the preferred display.

---
Microsoft's anti-virus poster campaign
<http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=SecurityPosters> leaves out the