[P1] TextEdit bumping Word

Mike Wallinga mwallinga at mailup.net
Mon Feb 16 09:55:00 PST 2004

I would not delete TextEdit unless absolutely necessary, because you
will want it around to read/write plain text and rich text documents.
(You could handles these formats in Word, too, but that's using a
sledgehammer to pound in a nail.)

Anyway, I would try this first:

1. Find any Word document in the Finder, click on it to select it, and
choose Get Info from the File menu
2. If the Open with: area is collapsed, click on the triangle to expand
it.
3. TextEdit is probably the application listed in the drop-down box.
Pick Word instead.  (Or, if for some reason Word isn't listed in the
drop-down box, go to the bottom of the list, choose Other... and
manually select Word)
4. Click on the Change All button to make all Word documents open in
Word by default.

Hope this helps!
- Mike W.